Are you planning a weekend trip and want to make the most of it? We are headed to Los Angeles today for Jake to take his final board exam before graduation. Our trip is just Thursday through Sunday, with us getting home about 11 p.m. Sunday night. Usually I am a planner, but Jake and I both have been so busy lately. I wanted to share some easy tips to focus on when planning a short vacation.
Since our time is so limited with Jake taking the exam Friday morning and on into the mid-afternoon, we had a coffee date this week to map out our trip.
Here are some tips for planning a trip/making the most out of your weekend.
- Budget: This is important to do because things add up before you know it. Research activities, cost of renting a car vs. Uber rates, and restaurants. We are both foodies and love the beach, so we reviewed menus of beachside restaurants to see if they fit into our budget. We also decided to do one nicer meal and the rest pretty casual to save money. We decided we wanted to check out many places, so we picked a more reasonable hotel.
- Make a list of what you want to do and prioritize: There is a ton to do in L.A. and we only have a short time. I have been asking friends and looking on Pinterest for L.A. guides. Also, Trip Advisor has been great. We really only have one full day and have 3 half days, so we prioritized what we wanted to do most and will do that on the full day. We saved the places closer to our hotel for the half days.
- Pack versatile pieces: When you only have so much time, you don’t want to waste time going back to the hotel to completely change. I packed a lot of looks that could go from day with flats to night with heels and a clutch.
- Don’t sleep in: I am a huge fan of sleeping in, but with limited time make sure to not sleep your vacation away.
- Clean your house before you leave: This may sound weird, but nothing is worse than coming home to a messy house. I make a point before I leave to straighten up our home and get extra organized. Before I left, I picked out my work clothing for the following week and got ingredients to make an easy crockpot meal for the following Monday.
During our coffee date, we both brought our laptops and did some research. Jake and I both have the same laptop, so I was excited that I recently received this adorable custom laptop skin. You get the option to customize your skin or you can pick one that they’ve already designed. For the laptop skin, I did one that was already made. I also picked out the matching custom iPhone case and added my blog logo to make it more personal. For the phone case, I chose the one with a little extra protection because I am known to drop my phone.
If you’ve never heard of Caseapp, it’s a company where you can customize cases to protect your electronic devices. As a blogger, I am on my phone and laptop a lot, so I definitely want something cute. I have definitely received TONS of compliments on my cases. Make sure to check them out at www.caseapp.com and use code MEDSCHOOLWIFE20 for 20% off.